Persimmon (n) an edible fruit from the genus Diospyros. Natures way of giving you a lift in the change of season from summer to fall, did you know persimmons are ridiculously good for you? Persimmons give a huge boost to your immune system as they have one of the highest levels of Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) content of any fruit. As well they are packed with Vitamin A, Manganese, Beta-Carotene, Lycopene, Lutein, Cryptoxanthin, Phosphorus, Phytonutrients, Potassium, Flavonoids, Antioxidants, B-Complex Vitamins including Zeaxanthin which is directly linked to improve eye health, as well as Gallocatechins and Betulinic Acid which are tumor inhibitors. No wonder we are crazy about this fall fruit, here are five ways to add them into your life.
1. Wash and Chop:
Persimmons have a white powdery coat on them so you have to scrub them clean with a sponge and warm water. Once they are washed clean chop yourself a bowl and enjoy.
2. Fruit Salad
Add Persimmons to your next fall fruit salad, Pomegranate, Pear, Persimmon, Guava, Pitaya also known as Dragon Fruit and Avocado. Dress with fresh Lemon juice and enjoy.
3. Persimmon + Banana Bread Muffins
Packed with energy, an easy to grab and go protein muffin made with Cashew Butter, Quinoa Flour, Persimmons and sweetened with 100% Pure Maple Syrup.
- 5 Extra Ripe Fuyu Persimmons
- 2 Ripe Persimmons for Garnishing
- 2 Very Ripe Bananas
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flax
- 6 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons 100% Maple Syrup
- 100% Maple Syrup for garnish
- 1/2 Cup Raw Cashew Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Cups Quinoa Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Coconut Flour
- Make your Flax "Egg" by mixing 2 Tablespoons of ground Flax with 6 Tablespoons of Water and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 375º
- Spray or brush your muffin tin or papers with a natural non-stick oil.
- Mash together the "Very Ripe" Banana along with the peeled "Extra Ripe" Fuyu Persimmons.
- In a large mixer add the mashed banana and persimmon along with all of the wet ingredients, Vanilla, 100% Maple Syrup, Raw Cashew Butter, Unsweetened Almond Milk and the Flax "Egg".
- In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients, Baking Soda, Cinnamon, Quinoa Flour and Coconut Flour.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients with the mixer on low until all incorporated being sure to scrape the sides periodically.
- Fill the muffins about 1/2 way and add a thin sliver of Persimmon on top and brush with 100% Maple Syrup.
- Bake at 375º for 20 Minutes then at 425º for another 10 to 15 or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
4. Persimmon Salad
Persimmons are often compared to Tomatoes and pair well in a Spinach Salad.
- Fuyu Persimmon
- Heirloom Tomatoes
- Purple Cabbage
- Fresh Lemon
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Freshly Gound Sea Salt
- California Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Wash all of the ingredients and lay on a dish towel to dry.
- In a large serving bowl add your Spinach, Purple Cabbage, Fennel, Avocado, Fuyu Persimmons and Heirloom Tomatoes.
- Serve the Salad with Wedges of Fresh Lemon, Fresh Black Pepper, Sea Salt and California Extra Virgin Olive Oil for dressing.
5. Persimmon Custard
Chop and freeze Persimmons to add to your smoothies and smoothie bowls. This smoothie bowl was like a rich creamy custard minus the dairy! The orange color is quite festive, serve this on a holiday morning and everyone can add their own garnish or take this Gluten-Free, Vegan Custard to a potluck.
- Sprouted Almonds
- Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Dehydrated Coconut Shreds
- Goji Berries
- Chia Seeds
- The Sprouted Almonds need to be started the day before.
How to Sprout Raw Almonds:
Soak the almonds over night 18-24 hours. Boil a big pot of water. Place the soaked almonds in the pot of boiling water for 15-20 SECONDS- just enough time so that you can peel them. Right away strain and place the almonds in an ice bath. Peel the skins off while you chant the mantra for purification. Store in the refrigerator in a glass container covering the almonds in water. They will last up to 2 weeks as long as you be sure to change the water daily.
In a high speed blender add about a cup of Sprouted Almonds, 3 to 5 frozen Persimmons and enough Almond Milk to cover and blend on high. Add more liquid if needed to get the ingredients all incorporated and you can add more frozen Persimmons if it becomes to loose.
Pour the blended ingredients into a a bowl and garnish with your favorites.